Josh and Kristen

Josh and Kristen
July 19, 2010

Monday, January 24, 2011

The Dress



Ballgown, A-line, halter, strapless... so many beautiful options! Silk (too expensive?), lace (traditional, but is it me?), beads (how many and where?), train (how long?) ... choosing a dress in one shopping trip might get overwhelming.  It did for me.  After helping me try 6 dresses, the David's consultant told my mom and sisters, "She's not ready to decide today!" even though I had already looked at magazines for a general idea of what my options were. I appreciated her understanding and patience.


What helped narrow it down for me was a) price (those princess skirts were amazing, but it would also be amazing to save $400 with a smaller skirt!) and b) talking with my mom and sisters about the features I thought were most important.

My best (and last) shopping experience was a trip to an intimate and established Pittsburgh boutique, Carlisle's - nestled in the heart of the strip district between Smallman Street and Penn Ave. (Enter the Big Day Wedding and Events Center and it's in the back.)  It was there I learned that ordering a gown would have taken me past my wedding day, so I had to buy "off the rack." Lucky for me, there were dresses that I liked in my size.

Even though I walked into Carlisle's thinking I wanted a chiffon dress, I walked out having purchased the gorgeous silky tafetta gown pictured above.  And I couldn't have been happier. Maybe it was the older and wiser customer care staff, the less-overwhelming number of racks, or the fact that I now knew what I liked best (non-symmetrical ruching, more elegant and simple than modern and bold). None of the gowns I tried on before could beat the price.

As for alterations, my grandma sewed the hem, so that it swooped ever-so-slightly in the back. I enjoyed the time with her.  I really enjoyed making dress-shopping a family trip (and almost-family - my sister's dormmate tagged along and blessed me by finding my matching veil)!

I went to David's Bridal several times again for choosing colors, bridesmaid dresses and accessories. Overall I found their consultants to be knowledgeable and enthusiastic, but the store was often busy. Same for Alfred Angelo's, though the gown selections in both national chains were great for mid-range budgets. 






No comments:

Post a Comment